A widget enables you to create events once in Localist and publish everywhere with Widgets. Administrators and users can embed and display events or series of events on pages separate from the main calendar, such as the organization’s website homepage, partner organizations websites or other pages. In this article you’ll find:
- The Widget Builder
- Custom Widget Templates
- Widget Parameters
- API vs. Widgets
- Widgets FAQ
The Widget Builder
The Widget Builder can be accessed by navigating to Content > Widgets > Public Widget Builder or by default it is publicly linked in the homepage’s Share Events box.
Widget Builder Fields
- Template: Select the default template or one of your custom Widget templates
- Number of Results: You can enter any number up to 50.
- Days Ahead: You can enter any number up to 365.
- Groups/Departments: The builder allows you to select one group. If you’d like to pull multiple groups’ or departments’ events you can tack on more groups or departments to the URL (&groups=group_a&groups=group_b OR &departments=department_a&departments=department_b). It’s just not currently baked into the actual builder.
- Keywords and Tags: Enter all applicable words.
- Only Show Featured: When checked, only events flagged as a featured event will be included.
- Only Show Sponsored: When checked, only events flagged as a sponsored will be included.
- Include All Matching Instances: If checked, the Widget will display all recurring instances. If not checked, the Widget will only display the first instance in the recurring chain.
- Places: Select all that apply.
- Filters: Select all that apply.
- Content Must Match
- At least one Place, Group, Keyword or Tag, and one Filter item
- Any Place, Group, Keyword, Tag, or Filter item
- At least one Place and Group, and all Keywords, Tags, and Filter items
- Any place or Group, and at least one Keyword or Tag, and one Filter item
- Excluded Content: Any Filters specified in these drop downs will not be included in the Widget. This is helpful in an “all, but one” situation.
- Hide past events: Hide all events in the past
- Widget Type: You have the option of a List Widget or a Mini Cal + List Widget.
- The List + Mini Cal Widget provides a drop down of all available Event Type Filters to narrow down what events the list displays. The mini cal and “today’s events”/”this week’s events” will change the list results accordingly. The mini calendar extends 12 months.
- Style: Localist provides three out-of-the-box styles to choose from:
Widget Style: Modern
Widget Style: Card
Widget Style: Classic
Mini Cal + List:
- Hide Descriptions: Event descriptions will not be shown.
- Truncate Descriptions: Description, location, and event image will be hidden upon page load, however, when an event is clicked this information will appear.
- Render HTML in Descriptions: This allows any HTML entered in admin (bold, etc.) to be displayed automatically.
- Hide Event Images: Photos will be completely hidden.
- Hide Event Times: Times will be completely hidden.
- Hide ‘View All Events’ Link: The view all events link will be completely hidden.
- Open Links in New Window: If an event is selected, another window will open.
Generating Your Widget
After you have made all necessary specifications, you will see two options to generate your Widget results.
- Preview Widget: This will open your Widget results in another tab. On this page you can confirm that the correct events are showing and that the output options are working as expected.
- Generate Embed Code: This will display the embed code for your Widget to be included on your website.
Custom Widget Templates