- Adding a Place Page
- Assigning an Event to a Place Page
- Bulk Adding Place Pages
Is your organization using Concept3D (formerly CampusBird)? Learn how to integrate your custom maps here: https://support.localist.com/concept3d/
Adding a Place Page
Navigate to Classifications > Places > + Add Place. After saving, Localist will automatically geocode the address you have entered.
- Full Name: This will be displayed as the place’s name in the directory listing, on the event listing, and the event details page.
- Keywords: This field can be used to maximize SEO and ensure that queries pull the desired results by specifying common misspellings or if a place goes by other names.
- For example, for “Cooke Library” you could keyword “Cook Library” or for “The Jefferson Arts & Culture Center” you could keyword “JACC.”
- Photo: This photo will be displayed on the listing and landing page for the place. It may be used as a part of the Fallback Chain when an event does not have a unique photo. If a unique photo is not added then the photo that is marked as the Event/Place Fallback will be displayed.
- Description: No character limit, but only around 150 characters will be displayed before being truncated on the main listing.
- Website: This will be linked under Place’s phone number.
- Twitter Username: This will be linked in a Twitter icon next to the Follow and Facebook icons on the right side of the page. The Twitter handle is also used by Localist to track any event related tweets coming from a place’s account, which is taken into consideration in the trending algorithm.
- Facebook Page: This will be linked in a Facebook icon beside the Follow icon and the Twitter icon on the right side of the page.
- Place Type: Select all that apply. This will be displayed on the Place Page and on the Places to Go list.
- Internal Notes: This information will not be displayed on the Place Page. This space can be used to communicate any unique directions/information for Admins.
- Address: Enter the street address, city, state and zip code all in this field.
- Phone: This is a text field.
- Hours: Ex. Mon-Fri: 6am-12pm, Sat: 10am-2pm
- Parking: Use this field to communicate any extra directions that may not be provided by Google.
- For example, whether or not parking is free or the name of a nearby parking structure.
- Vanity URL: This will give the place landing page a custom URL.
- For example “The Smith School of Business” will be .edu/the_smith_school_of_business, but it can be changed to .edu/ssob, etc.
If you are using Localist Communities, then you will see a drop-down labeled Community to select.
Assigning an Event to a Place Page
1. When in an event’s edit/create form, you will see a section titled Location. In the Event Place field, start typing the Place Name.
- Use: By selecting this option, you will not connect to a Place Page, instead, you’ll be using a custom location.
- If Use is not displayed before the name, it means that what’s listed is a Place Page and can be connected to an event.
2. If you select to use a custom option, such as Use: Madison Square as shown above, then fields for Address and Directions will appear for you to fill in. Using a custom location does not automatically create a new Place Page on your platform.
Navigate to Classifications > Places > + Bulk Add Places. On this page you will see a link to download a CSV template. To populate a CSV, the field data will need to be entered the same way you would enter it manually in the edit/create form.
Available Fields for Places (CSV Template):
- Photo URL
- Facebook URL
- CampusBird ID
* Type refers to Place Type Filters that are assigned to Place Pages and live in the Places to Go directory.