Need some background on Widgets? Start with our introductory guide: Intro: Widgets
A widget enables administrators and users to embed and display events or series of events on pages separate from the main calendar, such as the organization’s website homepage or other landing pages. A centralized calendar should not just be a central location, but also allow for events to be curated and selectively shared across multiple landing pages on your organization’s website.
1. Match your organization’s brand – no more clunky and mismatched solutions.
Localist widgets are completely flexible in both look and feel.
- Colors & Fonts
- No 3rd party branding
2. Show more details
- Place name (with link to landing page!)
- Date range
Northeastern University takes advantage of Localist’s widget builder all throughout their website. First, you can see their Biotechnology Program events widget below on the left. If this department used a regular ole Google Calendar embed, the page would be be broken up and mismatched as seen on the right.
Second, here are four examples of how Northeastern has adapted Localist’s widgets to suit the unique needs and styles of a variety of campus organizations.
3. Save time
No matter how your event data is entering Localist, be in as a submission, a feed from a room scheduler or a bulk upload, event data can be exported via Localist’s widget builder with just a few clicks.
- In-house styling: Localist offers a variety of styling options upon export, such as hiding images or truncating descriptions.
- AutomaticUpdating: If something changes in Localist, such as an event’s time, the widget will be automatically updated to reflect the change.
- No hard-coding links or creating landing pages: If the event’s location is included in the widget, it will automatically link to the landing page on the main Localist platform.
4. Connected to your Localist platform
Using Localist to export and embed event content goes beyond design, details and saving time. By entering event content into Localist and then exporting the content, instead of using various means to import into Localist, you are creating a centralized hub for curating, managing and promoting event content.
- Increased traffic and awareness: Using widgets will drive your audience directly back to the main platform where they can see extra details and learn about other events.
- Consistent voice: By creating a central platform, your content will be consistent in what details are provided,what terms are used to communicate these details and how the content is displayed.