Localist can import RSS feeds as well as export RSS feeds that adhere to the hCalendar standard.
In this article you’ll find:
- RSS Import Data
- Importing an RSS Feed
- Important Feed Import Details
- RSS Export Data
- Exporting an RSS Feed
RSS Import Data
The basic requirement for importing an RSS feed is that the data in the RSS adheres to the hCalendar standard. Since RSS is inherently unstructured in terms of event dates, descriptions, etc., Localist needs specific tags to be able to successfully import.
- Start time
- Place: If the RSS feeds includes proper hCal tags then Location and End Time can also be included.
- Non-hCal location: Event at Location: <title>Senior Concert at Arts Center</title>
- Location properly using hCal: <span class=“location”>Arts Center</span>
Importing an RSS Feed
1. In your admin dashboard, navigate via Events > Feeds
2. Select +Add Feed
3. Description Fields
- Name: This should be used as a general description for the feed.
- Feed URL: This is where you enter the URL to the RSS feed.
- Skip Pending: By default, all events in the feed will be automatically posted. Uncheck this option to send all events to the pending queue for additional approval.
- Taxonomy Overrides: These drop downs will match your platform’s filters. Selecting from the drop downs will apply the filter to every event in the feed.
- ShowAdvanced Options
- Username / Password
- Match Instances: If selected, event instances that have been added to Localist, but are no longer present in the feed, will be removed. Here’s a breakdown:
- If checked: Event A on Oct 1 is imported —> Upon next import Event A is now listed for Oct 2 and Oct 1 is no longer present in the feed —> The live event in Localist is updated from Oct 1 to Oct 2.
- If not checked: Event A on Oct 1 is imported —> Upon next import Event A is now listed for Oct 2 and Oct 1 is no longer present in the feed —> The live event in Localist is updated to now have two instances – both Oct 1 and Oct 2Essentially, this functionality is only applied to instances of events that are still in the feed. If an entire event is remove from the feed then Localist will not make any updates or deletions and the event will stay in the last-imported state unless manually modified.
Note: Upon saving, the feed will initially import once. After the initial import, the feed will import once a day and overnight.Changes will not be reflected in Localist until the nightly import.
Important Feed Import Details
Feed Data Takes Precedent
1. Data imported by a feed into Localist will always take precedent over data that has been added or updated in the Localist event. Only the following 3 details can be locked and cut off from further updating:
- Event Place
2. All other details that are brought in via a feed must be changed at the feed source. If it is changed in any way in Localist then the changes will only stick until the next feed import, at which time it will revert back to the data in the feed.
- Exception: If a piece of data is not provided by the feed then any changes or additions in Localist will stick even after the next import. For example, if the feed only provides name/date/time/description/place then anything else, such as a tag or custom field, will remain as updated in Localist.
3. If fields in a feed match fields in Localist then the data must match exactly to what is saved in Localist. It is not possible to assign aliases or alternative spellings. For example, place names must match the place landing pages and filters must match the taxonomy on your platform in order to connect properly.
Deleting a Feed Event
1. Deleted in Localist: If an event has been imported to the calendar then deleted, it will reappear if it is sent back over through the feed. Since feed data takes precedent, if the event is present in the feed then it will be re-added to Localist.
- Exception: If an event is rejected from the pending queue then it will not re-appear. If the event is deleted while still in the pending queue then it will be re-imported into the queue.
2. Deleted at the feed source: If an event is removed from the feed source, the event in Localist will not be removed. This is because it is impossible for Localist to determine wether the event has been deleted/cancelled or if the event is just not present in the feed. In this case you will need to delete the instance in the feed and in Localist.
RSS Export Data
Subscribed feeds cover 13 months: from 1 month ago to 1 year from now.
The first 1,000 events in that date range. For example, if there are 1,000 events in the first 6 months then the feed’s initial pull will only cover that date range.
- Start time
- Category (Event Types in Localist)
- Places: Place names are appended to the end of the title, such as Senior Concert at Arts Center
Exporting an RSS Feed
1. Filtered Results: All Localist platform has a built-in subscription box on every filtered results page (this is not available on the homepage). It is located to the right of the event listings and underneath the filters.
2. My Plans: A user can subscribe to only events that they’ve RSVP’d to via the I’m Going button.
3. Group or Place Landing Pages: When on the landing page, select View Full Calendar… then use the subscribe box displayed under the filters on the right side.
4. Widget RSS
In your admin dashboard, navigate via Content > Widget Builder
After you are finished building your widget, click Preview Widget.
The URL to the widget’s preview page will say format=html at the end.
Change from HTML to RSS.