Localist’s newsletter builder provides a simple and quick way to construct and send emails to your audience to remind them what’s important, popular or new in the community.
In this article you’ll find:
- Adding a Newsletter
- Testing a Newsletter
Adding a Newsletter
1. In your admin dashboard, navigate to Content > Newsletters
2. Select +Add Newsletter
3. Newsletter fields:
- Active: In order for your newsletter to send on the scheduled date and time, the newsletter must be checked as Active. After a newsletter is automatically sent it will need to be rechecked as Active.
- For example, if a newsletter is scheduled for every Wednesday at 9 AM, then after that time and before the next Wednesday, the newsletter will need to be reactivated.
- Name: This will appear as the subject in the email.
- From Name: This will appear as the name of the sender. A common from name, is the organization’s name.
- From Email: This will appear as the sender email and will field any replies if allowed.
- Send Every: You have the choice of daily or once a week on a specific day. After each send you will have to recheck the newsletter as active. As for time, there are six options, but please note that they are Eastern Time and the times are approximate.
- Theme: You can either use the default theme or select a custom theme that you have added on the newsletter landing page (Content > Newsletters ).
- Automate Events: If this is selected then your newsletter will pull events according to Localist’s trending algorithm. If you wish to manually select unrelated events then you will need to uncheck this field and select save changes. After saving, you will see a Content section appear on the right-hand side. Selecting +Add Content will take you to a custom form. Please see the Custom Newsletter Content article for further details.
Note: If a featured event is pulled in then the newsletter will automatically be divided into three possible sections: Featured Events, Trending Events, and Popular Places.
- Number of Events: You have several options between 1 event and 30 events.
- Sort Events: When automating events, you can choose to keep the list sorted by popularity or by date.
- Event Type, Department, etc. (any filter you have set up will appear with a drop down): If specified, then any event that is assigned this filter can be potentially pulled into the newsletter.
- Group: This list corresponds to the group landing pages you have set up.
- Date Range: You can specify to pull from a window of one day with options up to 6 months. However, the number of events you have specified to include can fall in a shorter date range than specified.
- Automate Places: If selected, Localist’s trending algorithm will include a list of popular places under the list of events in the newsletter. Like events, if you wish to manually select unrelated places then you will need to uncheck this field and select save changes. After saving, you will see a Content section appear on the right-hand side. Selecting +Add Content will take you to a custom form. Please see the Custom Newsletter Content article for further details.
- Number of Places: You have several options between 1 event and 30 places.
- Place Type: You can pull in only those places that match a specific place type.
Note: The fields under events, such as event type or department are match any. If an event matches at least one of the specified filters then it can potentially be included in the newsletter.
4. If you’d like the newsletter to send on the next available day as specified, then CHECK ACTIVE! If the event is not checked as active then the newsletter will not send.
Testing a Newsletter
While in the newsletter’s edit form, you will see Email Preview and Browser Preview in the blue bar.
- Email Preview: This option will prompt you to enter an email address so that Localist can send you an email version of your completed newsletter.
- Browser Preview: This option will open the newsletter in another browser.