In this article you’ll find:
- Assigning Tags and Keywords
- Related Articles
Tags are another layer of categorizing your events that are created in a free-text field and are not selected from a pre-determined list.
Tags are provided to allow grouping with a like identifier that doesn’t warrant an entire unique filter. For example, a higher ed organization may have filters like “fundraiser” and “greek life,” so if there is a greek life group holding a homecoming fundraiser, the event could be tagged with “homecoming,” “homecoming2014,” etc.
Tags are listed on the event details page below filters:
Keywords are effectively hidden tags as they are only used for internal purposes and are not displayed anywhere on the calendar.
There are two common uses for keywords:
- SEO & Misspellings: If any detail of an event, such as a speaker’s name or the location, have common misspellings or other monikers, noting them as a keyword will ensure that the most possible queries will pull the event in Localist.
- Widget & Channel Filtering: Keywords (and tags) are available as a filtering parameter in the widget and channels. Since keywords are hidden, they are commonly used for admins to mark specific events for a widget/channel. For example, “homepagewidget” or “athleticschannel”
Assigning Tags & Keywords
These items are available only to platform and event admins in the Additional Details section of the event create form.
Note: In order for general users to use these fields effectively on the public submission form they would have to be knowledgable of Localist functions and terminology. Our goal is to keep the Public Submission Form as simple and fool-proof as possible. Since these are open text there could be an excess of different inputs if made available on the Public Submission Form. Instead, users are provided with filters to label their event. This decreases confusion and clutter on the calendar.
1. Per-Event Basis
2. Include in Bulk Uploading
- In your admin dashboard, navigate to Events > +Bulk Add Events
While on the +Bulk Add Events page, select Bulk Event CSV
- This will download a spreadsheet with pre-populated headers – you will see columns titled Keywords and Tags
- If you are entering several, just separate them with a comma.