Localist is able to connect with the EMS API to automatically import data from your organization’s EMS account.Localist’s communication with EMS is only EMS -> Localist.
In this article you’ll find:
- EMS API Import Data
- Importing an EMS Feed
- Important Feed Import Details
EMS API Import Data
The EMS API provides the following fields that match fields in Localist. If a Localist field is not listed, it is because a matching field is not provided by the EMS API.
- Name (EventName)
- Location (Building)
- Room (Room)
- Start date (TimeEventStart)
- Start time (TimeEventStart)
- End time (TimeEventEnd)
- Group name (GroupName)
- Event type (EventTypeDescription)
Importing an EMS Feed
Unlike other feeds, such as ICS or RSS, an EMS feed will need to be set up by Localist Support. Please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org : EMS API URL, username and password.
- Event Filtering: If you wish to only pull events with a specific event type from EMS, such as only “academic” or “festival,” include the list in your email. Note: If at first an event is assigned to a filter group that is being pulled in from EMS, but it is then modified to not have the filter, it will not be removed from Localist. It is not possible for Localist to determine if the event has been deleted/cancelled or if it is just not present in the feed anymore.
- Match Instances: If selected, event instances that have been added to Localist, but are no longer present in the feed, will be removed. Here’s a breakdown:
- If checked: Event A on Oct 1 is imported —> Upon next import Event A is now listed for Oct 2 and Oct 1 is no longer present in the feed —> The live event in Localist is updated from Oct 1 to Oct 2
- If not checked: Event A on Oct 1 is imported —> Upon next import Event A is now listed for Oct 2 and Oct 1 is no longer present in the feed —> The live event in Localist is updated to now have two instances – both Oct 1 and Oct 2Essentially, this functionality is only applied to instances of events that are still in the feed. If an entire event is remove from the feed then Localist will not make any updates or deletions and the event will stay in the last-imported state unless manually modified.
- Skip Pending: An EMS feed as a whole can be imported directly to the pending queue instead of automatically being added to the calendar.
Note: Upon saving, the feed will initially import once. After the initial import, the feed will import once a day and overnight.Changes will not be reflected in Localist until the nightly import.
IMPORTANT FEED IMPORT DETAILS
Feed Data Takes Precedent
1. Data imported by a feed into Localist will always take precedent over data that has been added or updated in the Localist event. Only the following 3 details can be locked and cut off from further updating:
- Event Place
2. All other details that are brought in via a feed must be changed at the feed source. If it is changed in any way in Localist then the changes will only stick until the next feed import, at which time it will revert back to the data in the feed.
- Exception: If a piece of data is not provided by the feed then any changes or additions in Localist will stick even after the next import. For example, if the feed only provides name/date/time/description/place then anything else, such as a tag or custom field, will remain as updated in Localist.
3. If fields in a feed match fields in Localist then the data must match exactly to what is saved in Localist. It is not possible to assign aliases or alternative spellings. For example, place names must match the place landing pages and filters must match the taxonomy on your platform in order to connect properly.
Deleting a Feed Event
1. Deleted in Localist: If an event has been imported to the calendar then deleted, it will reappear if it is sent back over through the feed. Since feed data takes precedent, if the event is present in the feed then it will be re-added to Localist.
- Exception: If an event is rejected from the pending queue then it will not re-appear. If the event is deleted while still in the pending queue then it will be re-imported into the queue.
2. Deleted at the feed source: If an event is removed from the feed source, the event in Localist will not be removed. This is because it is impossible for Localist to determine wether the event has been deleted/cancelled or if the event is just not present in the feed. In this case you will need to delete the instance in the feed and in Localist.