Department landing pages, or “Department Groups,” function exactly the same way as group landing pages and add a directory to your calendar homepage so that users can search via a particular department or as a quick way to obtain extra information. The directory link will be added under All Events and place landing page links on the homepage.
In this article you’ll find:
- Adding Department Landing Pages
- Assigning an Event to a Department Landing Page
- Benefits of Department Landing Pages
- Related Articles
Adding Department Landing Pages
** The second set of landing pages is not available on your platform by default. To have this feature activated, please email email@example.com. **
In your admin dashboard, navigate via Departments > + New Department
Note: The items listed under +New Department pertain to the department landing pages.
Department Landing Page Fields
- Name: This will be displayed as the group’s name in the directory listing and on the event list and event landing pages.
- Description: No character limit, but only around 150 characters will be displayed before being truncated on the main listing.
- Department Website: This website will be linked under the group’s name on the landing page as View Department Website.
- Twitter Username: This will be linked in a Find on Twitter button under the group’s photo.
- Facebook Page: This will be linked in the Find on Facebook button under the group’s photo.
- Group Type: Select all that apply. This will be displayed on the department landing page and on the Department list to filter.
- News Feed RSS URL: This feed will be displayed under Upcoming Events on the group landing pages.
- Photo: This photo will be displayed on the listing and landing page for the department and may be used as a part of the Fallback Chain when an event does not have a unique photo.
- Skip Officer Approval: When checked, users who select Follow Group will automatically be added as a follower. Note: This does not equate to official group membership.
Note: Filters and fields are shared between group and department landing pages.
Assigning an Event to a Department Landing Page
When in an event’s edit/create form, you will see a section titled Filters. Departments will be listed in a combined filter with groups, called Departments/Groups.
Note: You can only select one department and one group per event.
Benefits of Department Landing Pages
Beyond just serving as another means to filter events, here are some benefits of using landing pages:
- Users can see both upcoming and recent events on one page.
- Officers can upload a description, logo and a link to the department’s website to be displayed on the page.
- Users can upload department photos and add comments to the department page.
- Users can follow a department so that all events/upcoming events are added to their Localist calendar. Officers can decide wether or not to require follow requests by selecting skip officer approval in the group’s edit page.
- Connect and display an RSS feed for group related news and blog posts.
- Finally, simply get more eyes on your diverse list of groups and their culture. Department landing pages also add another layer to how effectively your calendar can showcase your campus’ active community.
Bonus: Huge SEO boost for your calendar!