In order to unlock higher quality submissions, many of our customers elect add extra guidelines to the submission form that are tailored to the organization’s policies and workflow. In addition to clarifying organizational standards, these instructions can also offer users suggestions to make their events more successful.
In this article you’ll find:
- Display Options
- Best Practices
- Examples and Ideas
- Adding Custom Guidelines
You can use the Theme Editor to add guidelines in two areas:
1. Right Side: The guidelines can replace or sit next to the default Adding an Event and Batch Event Add boxes.
- Suggested for: Communicating policies, acceptable content and editing process.
2. In the form: The guidelines can be placed in between the fields in the form.
- Suggested for: Directions or hints specific to form features and functionality.
1. Be concise. The more text and instructions you display, the less likely your users will actually read to the end. We recommend starting with minimal instructions, then expanding to address common questions or mistakes arising over time.
2. Place and style appropriately. If you are communicating multiple points or instructions then we recommend breaking them up aesthetically or placing specific instructions directly within the form.
3. Include extra organizational details. Don’t just limit this space to event form specific instructions. This is a great opportunity to display contact information, links to other organizational resources or other related systems.
Examples and Ideas
- Who is the calendar serving?
- What events are appropriate or inappropriate?
- Who can post an event?
- What is the approval process?
- How is an event edited?
- When should an event be posted?
- What is the purpose of a custom field?
- Why are certain details important?
- Are there any best practices?
General instructions, tips & prompts
Additional information or resources
- Are there other places events are added?
- Are there training materials?
- Are there event planning resources available?
Adding Custom Guidelines
Custom guidelines, whether added on the right side or within the form, are added using the HTML Theme Editor.
1. Start by navigating to Settings > Appearance
If you do not have a custom theme already, then follow these steps:
- Select the +Add Theme button
- Enter a name and keep the Copy From set to Default
- Back on Appearance, select the new theme’s name
2. Select the Edit Theme Files button for the theme you’d like to modify
3. On the edit theme page you will see a list of files on the right hand side. Scroll down to Events. In the below files, you will add the necessary HTML. From there you can style the new content directly in the theme editor, or you can add Custom CSS directly in Localist or in the CSS file your SILK Wrapper is referencing.
- Public Event Submission Form: In this file you can add guidelines within the submission form’s fields.
- _edit_sidebar: In this file you can add guidelines to the right side bar of the submission form. A quick way to add guidelines in this file is to copy what code is already there and replace the text.
4. After modifying the file, select the blue Save Changes button then hit Preview in the blue bar above the editor. Preview will take you to your calendar homepage so you can see the change.
5. Once you’ve confirmed that the change is correct, select Activate in the blue bar on the edit theme page. (Back on Appearance you’ll see the new theme listed as active as well).