Localist’s bulk uploading feature allows you to build a Excel (.xls) or CSV (.csv) spread sheet and upload all of the events at once.
In this article you’ll find:
- Populating a CSV/XLS Template
- Bulk Adding Events
- Confirming Your Upload
- Updating & Combining Events
Populating a CSV
By default your CSV template will include these headers:
- Date From (Start Date): 2014-10-30
- Date To (End Date): 2014-10-30
- Recurrence: Su,M,T,W,Th,F,Sa
- Start Time: 7:00 AM
- End Time: 12:00 PM
- Location: If assigning to a place landing page it must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
- Address, City, State: Only necessary if not connecting to a place landing page
- Event Website
- Photo URL: must be hosted on your end
- Ticket URL
- Cost: $40 or free
- Hashtag: do not include a #
- Facebook URL: this is for the event page in Facebook
- Group: If assigning to a group landing page it must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
- Allows Reviews: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Visibility: Enter Hidden or Logged In
- Featured Tabs: Enter the name of the Featured Tab, or if you don’t have any custom tabs just enter Featured Events, which is the default tab.
- Sponsored: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Venue Page Only: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Exclude From Trending: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Event Types: Must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
- Departments: Must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
Note: If you have added custom fields or other filter groups to your platform then headers + columns will automatically be included in the template. If you are using a pre-existing file, just add a column with the custom field, etc., as the title.
Note: If rich text is included, it will be imported and displayed as plain text in Localist.
External ID: Localist automatically consolidates recurring dates into a single event (with multiple date instances), but if you’d like to keep each date as its own individual event, you can use the External ID field. If an External ID is present (and is unique per row), the Localist importer will treat each row in the CSV as its own unique event, bypassing the auto-consolidation. If the CSV is set up as a feed, for any subsequent uploads of the CSV, if an event with an External ID in the CSV is already in Localist, it will update the event instead of creating a new one. This method does not work on manual uploads, as IDs are considered unique per source, and each upload is considered a new source.
Bulk Adding Events
1. In your admin dashboard, navigate via Events > +Bulk Add Events
2. Select Choose File to select a file or select Bulk Event CSV to download a template that is pre-populated with the appropriate headers.
- Skip Pending: By default, events are automatically approved when uploaded. Unchecking this flag will send all events to the pending queue to be approved.
- Import Past Events: If this is unchecked then any past events in the file will be ignored.
- Community: This will assign all events in the CSV to the community.
Important Note: Previously, Localist’s bulk uploader accepted only CSV files, but now Excel spreadsheets can be uploaded without exporting to CSV.
Confirming Your Upload
Once the upload is complete you will receive an email detailing how many events were imported and/or rejected.
- The number displayed corresponds to events and not instances. Localist automatically merges events that have a matching Title + Location so if there are 10 events, on 10 separate lines with a matching title + location in the CSV they will only count as 1 event and will be displayed on the calendar as a recurring event.
In the same interface that you uploaded the CSV, there is a Recent Uploads space that lists details of previous uploads.If there is a rejected event, you can select the link to view an error log.
If you’re experiencing a problem with bulk uploading these are the most common errors:
- The headers and/or data is not formatted properly
- Past events are included, but Import Past Events is not checked
- An event name and/or start date is not provided
Updating & Combining Events
If the event’s title + location match exactly then Localist will either combine the data in the CSV into one event with multiple instances or use the data in the CSV to update an existing, live event.Here’s the different update scenarios if the title + location match:You have a live event with the event type “academic” and a CSV with a matching title + location combo is imported with (this is the same for keywords, tags and other filters)…
- The existing event type (academic) + an additional event type (biology) are present in the type cell —> Live event now has both types assigned.
- No data in the event type cell — > The event type data remains unchanged and “academic” is still assigned to the live event.
- A new event type without the original one present—> The event’s type is changed from “academic” to “biology.”