Events from Ad Astra can be imported by bulk uploading a CSV or by setting up a CSV Feed. Localist’s communication with AdAstra is only Ad Astra -> Localist.
You can export event data fromAd Astra by using their API. To convert this data into a Localist CSV, just add ?return=localist to the end of the URL: http://your.domain/adastra/api/events.cfm
In this article you’ll find:
- CSV Import Data
- Importing an Ad Astra Feed
- Important Feed Import Details
- How to Do a One Time Bulk Upload of Ad Astra Data
CSV Import Data
- Date From (Start Date): 2014-10-30
- Date To (End Date): 2014-10-30
- Recurrence: Su,M,T,W,Th,F,Sa
- Start Time: 7:00 AM
- End Time: 12:00 PM
- Location: If assigning to a place landing page it must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
- Address, City, State: Only necessary if not connecting to a place landing page
- Event Website
- Photo URL: must be hosted on your end
- Ticket URL
- Cost: $40 or free
- Hashtag: do not include a #
- Facebook URL: this is for the event page in Facebook
- Group: If assigning to a group landing page it must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
- Allows Reviews: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Visibility: Enter Hidden or Logged In
- Featured Tabs: Enter the name of the Featured Tab, or if you don’t have any custom tabs just enter Featured Events, which is the default tab.
- Sponsored: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Venue Page Only: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Exclude From Trending: Enter 1/y/yes/true
- Event Types: Must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
- Departments: Must match exactly to what is saved in Localist
Note: If you have added custom fields or other filter groups to your platform then headers + columns will automatically be included in the template. If you are using a pre-existing file, just add a column with the custom field, etc., as the title.
Note: If rich text is included, it will be imported and displayed as plain text in Localist.
Importing an Ad Astra Feed
1. In your admin dashboard, navigate via Events > Feeds
2. Select +Add Feed
3. Description Fields
- Name: This should be used as a general description for the feed.
- Feed URL: This is where you enter the URL to the RSS feed.
- Skip Pending: By default, all events in the feed will be automatically posted. Uncheck this option to send all events to the pending queue for additional approval.
- Taxonomy Overrides: These drop downs will match your platform’s filters. Selecting from the drop downs will apply the filter to every event in the feed.
- ShowAdvanced Options
- Username / Password
- Match Instances: If selected, event instances that have been added to Localist, but are no longer present in the feed, will be removed. Here’s a breakdown:
- If checked: Event A on Oct 1 is imported —> Upon next import Event A is now listed for Oct 2 and Oct 1 is no longer present in the feed —> The live event in Localist is updated from Oct 1 to Oct 2.
- If not checked: Event A on Oct 1 is imported —> Upon next import Event A is now listed for Oct 2 and Oct 1 is no longer present in the feed —> The live event in Localist is updated to now have two instances – both Oct 1 and Oct 2Essentially, this functionality is only applied to instances of events that are still in the feed. If an entire event is remove from the feed then Localist will not make any updates or deletions and the event will stay in the last-imported state unless manually modified.
Note: Upon saving, the feed will initially import once. After the initial import, the feed will import once a day and overnight.Changes will not be reflected in Localist until the nightly import.
Important Feed Import Details
Feed Data Takes Precedent
1. Data imported by a feed into Localist will always take precedent over data that has been added or updated in the Localist event. Only the following 3 details can be locked and cut off from further updating:
- Event Place
2. All other details that are brought in via a feed must be changed at the feed source. If it is changed in any way in Localist then the changes will only stick until the next feed import, at which time it will revert back to the data in the feed.
- Exception: If a piece of data is not provided by the feed then any changes or additions in Localist will stick even after the next import. For example, if the feed only provides name/date/time/description/place then anything else, such as a tag or custom field, will remain as updated in Localist.
3. If fields in a feed match fields in Localist then the data must match exactly to what is saved in Localist. It is not possible to assign aliases or alternative spellings. For example, place names must match the place landing pages and filters must match the taxonomy on your platform in order to connect properly.
Deleting a Feed Event
1. Deleted in Localist: If an event has been imported to the calendar then deleted, it will reappear if it is sent back over through the feed. Since feed data takes precedent, if the event is present in the feed then it will be re-added to Localist.
- Exception: If an event is rejected from the pending queue then it will not re-appear. If the event is deleted while still in the pending queue then it will be re-imported into the queue.
2. Deleted at the feed source: If an event is removed from the feed source, the event in Localist will not be removed. This is because it is impossible for Localist to determine wether the event has been deleted/cancelled or if the event is just not present in the feed. In this case you will need to delete the instance in the feed and in Localist.
How to Do a One Time Bulk Upload of Ad Astra Events
1. In your admin dashboard, navigate via Events > +Bulk Add Events
2.Select Choose File to select a file or select Bulk Event CSV to download a template that is pre-populated with the appropriate headers.
- Skip Pending: By default, events are automatically approved when uploaded. Unchecking this flag will send all events to the pending queue to be approved.
- Import Past Events: If this is unchecked then any past events in the file will be ignored.
Confirming Your Upload
Once the upload is complete you will receive an email detailing how many events were imported and/or rejected.
- The number displayed corresponds to events and not instances. Localist automatically merges events that have a matching Title + Location so if there are 10 events, on 10 separate lines with a matching title + location in the CSV they will only count as 1 event and will be displayed on the calendar as a recurring event.
In the same interface that you uploaded the CSV, there is a Recent Uploads space that lists details of previous uploads.If there is a rejected event, you can select the link to view an error log.
If you’re experiencing a problem with bulk uploading these are the most common errors:
- The file has not been exported to a CSV
- The headers and/or data is not formatted properly
- Past events are included, but Import Past Events ” is not checked
- An event name and/or start date is not provided